Assessment Only Route to QTS at All Hallows Catholic School
At All Hallows we offer the Assessment Only route for suitably qualified and experienced candidates to gain Qualified Teacher Status.
Gaining QTS through this route enables you to teach in any school in the country whether state maintained, independent or an academy.
For this qualification, the assessment phase is normally over a period of 8-10 weeks after successful completion of an Initial Assessment Visit by a university assessor. We work with the highly regarded and Ofsted Outstanding University of Chichester.
To achieve QTS through the Assessment Only route will need to meet all following DfE compliancy criteria and required teaching experience:-
- Hold a UK Honours Degree (or recognised equivalent validated by NARIC).
- Hold 5 GCSE passes (currently A* to C including English and Maths.)
- Have been subject to and passed the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and criminal records check.
- Complete a ‘Fitness to Work’ assessment at All Hallows.
- Provide evidence of the appropriate intellectual and academic capabilities and personal qualities and attitudes, ethics and values.
- Provide evidence of significant teaching experience (typically 2 years) including six weeks at another school.
- Provide evidence of the completion of a 5 day work experience placement in a primary school.
- Provide evidence of the completion of a 1 day work experience placement in an SEN setting.
- Provide evidence of the completion of a 2 day work experience placement in an FE setting.
- Evidence of progress against the Teachers’ Standards in the form of a portfolio (evidence and reflective commentary).
There is no expectation by the DfE of specific training requirements for this route to QTS, however, at All Hallows, you will have the opportunity to join an ITT focused weekly training programme throughout each academic year, be assigned a mentor and receive expert guidance and support with regards to the completion of your portfolio of evidence.
The Assessment Only route is a fantastic opportunity for All Hallows to nurture high quality staff and provide you with a pathway to achieving QTS whilst still remaining in a school setting. Here is what two of our recently qualified staff had to say about this route into teaching:-
“Although the Assessment Only route is very intensive, it is an extremely rewarding way of gaining QTS. It gives you the opportunity to hone your skills in the classroom whilst building up relationships with colleagues and students in a very supportive environment.”
“Completing the Assessment Only route into teaching has allowed me to gain and hone skills which are integral in the teaching profession, in a school setting. These skills have enabled me to progress rapidly to being appointed a Head of Year within a short period of time. The Assessment Only route also gave me the opportunity to receive support and guidance from my school, the financial security of working full-time and the chance to find my voice in the classroom and get acclimatised to the fast paced nature of a school environment, all whilst achieving QTS. This route into teaching suited me as I have always placed massive importance on gaining experience. My current role brings fresh challenges on a daily basis, but the Assessment Only route into teaching has given me the necessary skills and experience to overcome these obstacles and thrive.”